Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Re-purposed John Deere Kiddy Tractor

Years ago my Dad got this little kiddy John Deere tractor with the purchase of his John Deere riding lawn mower.  It was for my nephew who was 2 at the time.  Well, it has been through a lot in the last 5 years--a couple bumps and bruises, a little fading from the sun, and the paper stickers were peeling away.  I have an 18 month old girl who needed a little toy to ride this summer, so my parents said "here take this" and that is what I did!  I brought it home, broke out the Cricut and went to town creating a new look for it.  I knew there wasn't much I could do about the fading issue and the bumps and bruises, but the added stickers spruced her right up!
 The poor stickers--you hardly can tell what they were supposed to be.
I love my little Cricut machine for projects like this--it's the BEST!
I started with the grill and lights.  I measured where the old grill sticker was cut a piece of black vinyl for it.  Then I made 6 small strips for the grill out of gray vinyl and 2 white squares for the lights out of white vinyl and attached them all together.
I used my nifty rounded corner punch to round the edges on the grill, lights and some of the words.
Due to the fading issue where ever the stickers where underneath them was the original color. So, I had to add a back to the words JOHN DEERE which turned out great! I also cut out new yellow rings to go around the wheels and white circles with black rings and little red markers for the new gauges.  How cute are they?
Next, I attached it all and decided that since this was for a girl it need something pink added to it.  So, I found word GIRL on my "Celebrations" cartridge w/ some cute daisies and added them for the final touch! 

I'm thrilled with how it turned out and so is my little girl!  It's her top choice of trikes to ride now!

No comments:

Post a Comment